Thursday 17 July 2014

10 things scarier than Friday the 13th

Fear induced by superstition has its own place in our lives. But there are few things that can be scarier than a black cat crossing your path on friday the 13th :)

As kids, we have experienced many such gross moments, as we grew up the events changed, but fear in different forms, surely remained.

Here is my list of top 10 things scarier than Friday the 13th:

#10: Birthdays!!! A joy when we are young, a terror as we cross 40!


Well, the increasing number of candles on the cake surely make birthdays scary. 

(I know for sure, I am growing younger by the day. So, Who was the smart alec who invented the idea of having candles on the cake? Lets find him and make his candle burn on both ends!!)

#9: My friend Johann shared that having lived in a joint family, the scariest thing is being 
home alone and hearing that freaky sound of the squeaky door or the consistent slow,  one drop at a time sound  from the tap, echoing in the middle of the silent night, that makes your imagination support the existence of an unidentified presence and inspires you to scream for help.
(Reality is surely different from what we see in the Movie 'Home Alone'. I want my family back here, right now).

#8: 8th place goes to a incident shared by my dear friend Anisha. She woke up one night to find a snake on her leg. She started screaming and her entire family gathered around, all screaming and not knowing what to do. Then her kid brother stepped forward and took the rubber snake off her leg. 


As kids, we have all had our moments, when we almost died of fear because we thought the fake cockroach or lizard or snake was going to kill us. Well, we surely came out alive and manage to laugh about the incident today.

#7: A strict diet, regular walks, a tight regime and then the scariest thing in this world is staring at the weighing scale as it crosses the forbidden numbers. 
(My weighing scale vehemently disqualifies all compliments from my friends about my weight loss. Wonder if there is a psychologist in this world for correcting the weighing scales attitudinal problems)

#6: I enjoy hosting events. Love cooking food and churning out delicacies; However, the scariest thing on an eventful day is seeing my house maids cell number beeping on my mobile. The worst fear undoubtedly is that she's called to say that she cannot make it to work!!

(I Solemnly Thank God for creating Social events and House maids and a back up in the form of Husbands and Dishwasher machines)

#5: Snuggling sound below my berth in the train. I move my bag a little to be looking straight into the eyes of a innocent looking mouse…. uuugggggghhhhh…
(Ok! I am an ardent devotee of Lord Ganesha, but I am surely not impressed by his vehicle 'the mouse' spying over me like this)

#4: Getting stuck in a closed door elevator, in a run down building, fearing that reduction in oxygen levels could kill, wondering if anyone will ever know that I am there inside the lift or would I pass out in anonymity, waiting to hear that one voice on the other side to say that they are working on getting me out, these few moments of anxiety, hold 4th place in my list.


#3: On a plane from New Delhi to Jammu, our plane circled in mid air, with no clearance to land thanks to turbulent weather and rains. Undoubtedly the most scary 35 mins of my life.

(The pilot will surely go to heaven. He was more successful than any priest in this world, at getting all passengers to chant God's name)

#2: The second most scary incident was shared by my friend, Ashish, who witnessed an  happening outside a horror house in Malaysia. An Indian family went in, one at a time, for a ride in the horror house; the husband, followed by the child and then the wife.
    As luck would have it, when the wife went in, the ride got stuck, bad luck and malfunction, and she stayed in the horror house for 4-5 minutes.

This surely holds the second place in my list.
#1: The MOST SCARY moment award, however, would go to the husband who was waiting outside the Horror house for his wife, who was stuck inside.

The wife went through only few moments of fear, but the poor oppressed husband had to bear the horror of this event (and also the unjust blame) for many years to come!!

I would definitely not want to be in his shoes, ever.

Message for the Week:

Nick Vujicic, is an Australian motivational speaker born with tetra-amelia syndrome, a rare disorder characterised by the absence of all four limbs. He believes that Fear is a  bigger disability than having no arms and legs.  Quoting Nick "Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real." 

Living in Fear or Facing Fear is a Choice.

Make your choice today and do any one thing that you have so far been scared to do. 

Have an empowering day and a courageous life.

#Humour #Inspirational #Scary #Experiences #Fear

19 comments:

  1. So well put, i can recall our Delhi - Jammu flight. It was the worst ever experience in my flying history. Never ever had goose bumps. And i still can't believe that i'm alive when i think of it.
    Ashish ji even here too you are the topper as you again steal away the no 1 position :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. And no one can beat my 'Three Musketeers' either.

      Delete
  2. njoyed reading this post. am reminded of the time when i was a kid and was so scared of waterfalls. i always thought i would get pushed from behind and fall to death.
    thank god, have gotten over this fear now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our fears Sudhaji. The idea is to face the fear & rise above.
      Its not easy, but personally, I feel, having someone around whom I can trust completely, is always a great help.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Heyy Anshul,
      Please feel free to share your own experience / any event that touched your heart. Always so much to explore.

      Delete
  4. Very funny and yet touches a cord. You articulate so well. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jagdish Saxena18 July 2014 at 10:22

    Nice post. I like the way you share your vast experience through simple example. enjoyed reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy writing. It gives me an opportunity to express in words what I feel about things around me. Glad you enjoyed reading the post

      Delete
  6. Your post reminds me of the harry potter movie where a magical spell helps transform every students fear into something funny.
    few of the instances shared above can truly be scary when we are going through them. but this post brings a lightness and makes every event sound like fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a good connection there. Had not occurred to me, Thank you for sharing the perspective.

      Delete
  7. Shubhangi Kandivali26 July 2014 at 18:10

    Hello. The msg of the week aptly sums up fear. you only come to know the one which felt so real was false when u face it. and yes it does empower. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shubhangi.
      Always a pleasure to share my posts with you

      Delete