Monday 25 March 2013

11 Things I Love about Mumbai



Born and raised in a metropolitan city like Bombay (now Mumbai), I look back over the years and recount the many things I love about my city.

With all its drawbacks and even after indescribable disappointments and broken hearts, there is most certainly something special about the ‘Spirit of Mumbai’. Spending hours in the fast trains of Mumbai, thousands live with a dream in their eyes, and hope in their hearts that someday the ‘Spirit of Mumbai’ will transform their petty world into Heaven on Earth.

The Gate Way of India,
Mumbai
I have listed Top 11 things I love about my city:

1.     I love how Mumbaikars can be very quiet about all the Political scams, but fight it out with an auto-rickshaw driver for charging an extra Rs.5, until we have blown an artery.

St.Michael's Church            Haji Ali Dargaah
2.     I love the hundreds of people from all religions who pray with me at the Haji Ali dargaah(Mosque) and also offer Novena at Mahim(St.Michael’s) church.
Whoever said God is restricted to one religion can fix up a personal appointment for attaining liberation on Mumbai streets.

3.     I love that Shiv Sagar (Udipi south Indian restaurant) offers Pizzas and Pizza Hut offers Tandoori Paneer.
How much more choice can any cuisine have?

4.     I also love that I can go to a 5 star hotel and eat my Pizza with my hand  and come back home and eat my dal(lentil) and rice with a spoon and fork without anyone even batting an eyelid.

Welcome for Indian Cricket Team
after T20 World Cup Win
5.     I love that on the day of India-Pakistan Cricket World Cup final, I dance on the streets, blow a whistle and wave Indian flags and cheer for my country like my existence depends on the result of the match.
Please remember, it’s a 1-day long love affair with my country, remaining 364 days, my country can look after itself!

6.     I love that I never break traffic lights and always get out of my car to help clear traffic jams, and then go park my car in the no-parking zone.
Liberation from Mumbai traffic is more meaningful than liberation from this material world.

7.     I love that roadside locally manufactured handbags are Gucci, Guess and Prada look a-likes.
Only giving the Chinese market some competition, that’s all.

8.     I love that I wait in the queue for hours along with richer than the richest and poorer than the poorest to get one glimpse of Ganesha, Lalbaugcha Raja.
Lalbaugcha Raja Visarjan
I am sure this festival makes all Communists in the world rejoice.

9.     I love that when floods hit Mumbai and thousands were stranded through out the night on the streets without any mode of communication, I along with many others went out of cozy homes with buckets of tea and food.
Neither heavy floods nor storm could stop the ‘spirit of Mumbai’ from going out to help strangers in need.

Vada Pao
10. I love that no matter how many states in India try to get the Vada-Pav right, it simply needs the Mumbai-effect to come out tasty.
Would someone please ask Non-Mumbaiittes to please keep jeera, onion, masala coconut powder far away my Vada-Pav.

11. I love that at the airport there is only a small 40 sq. feet cubicle with the sign ‘Smoking zone’. All the rest is presumably then ‘NON-Smoking zone’.
When we have strong doses of ‘spiritual high’ easily available, who needs cigarettes?

Message for the Week:

Upbringing in Mumbai brings flexibility and acceptance for different cultures & ways of thinking. I am constantly on the move, but always feel at home, no matter where I am, within India or abroad.

I carry my home in my heart.

No matter where you are, create a Home away from Home. Leave out the differences, find the commonalities & make them grow. Your easy adaptation to changing environments is a true reflection of the values given by your city.

May the Angels of happiness, love and joy reside with you forever.

10 comments:

  1. this is awsummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey u missed BEST buses;-)...kidding...btw nice article:-) for a change the message of sangha chatavam being spread from mumbai than bangalore.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Rachayita,
      this is only a initial list of 11 things, many many more(including BEST buses) to come soon :) :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you luckshmiji for this wonderful article....I'm truly happy I saw myself in all your 11 points, as Im born and brought up too in this amazing city Mumbai...Thanks for the beautiful and heartwarming message of the week...I admire and enjoy reading all ur articles as it helps me to improve and enrich my life journey... May You be blessed with love, peace,happiness forever...JaiGuruDev!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .want to read more of ur blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didi ....I came to this city almost a year ago and was a bit skeptical about mumbai but inspite of all the hardships that this city offers ... Its sooooo awesome to live here because of that same reason which you have mentioned - DIVERSITY. You get to meet so many DIFFERENT people plus one thing which I adore most about this city is that is it sooo safe for women. :-)
    Waiting for your next blog eagerly :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. a very lovely article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my little Angel.. being a 11 year old, makes you the youngest follower of this blog :)

      Delete